Monday, March 1, 2010

Hanbok Block

I have decided on my block for the Yongsan Quilters Spring Block Exchange. From the beginning I thought about making a Hanbok block, but I wasn't sure if I wanted to paper piece 20 blocks. After testing out the block this weekend, I decided 20 blocks wouldn't be too difficult to handle.
I used a Kimono paper pieced pattern altered into a hanbok. I think it looks very similar to the Traditional Korean Hanbok.

The unfinished block is 9 1/2 inches.

I'm finding it kind of amusing that I'm doing so much quilting right now. Less than a year ago I wouldn't have considered myself a quilter and I really had no intentions of making quilts. I think it might be because my grandmother is a magnificent quilter and I never thought I could create the things that she does. My grandmother is an expert quilter... I put myself on the novice level. With each quilt I make, my precision and techniques are improving. I have found that just being able to see doesn't make quilting any easier. I find myself concentrating more while I'm making quilt blocks because I want to make sure they are made to the correct size.

I love to see and create things will fabric, so I guess quilting is just another addition to my creative outlet. For now, I would love to know the creative outlets of other people.

No comments: