Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Homage to my Grandmother on her Birthday

Today my Grandmother is celebrating her 81st birthday, and since she is somewhat of an immigrant to technology I don't know if she will see this post, but perhaps my mother or I can share it with her when I travel to Upstate New York for the next few days. (**I'm bursting with excitement!**) I know I have failed to mention how I learned the skills of my creativity, sewing and all things handmade. I guess I would have to say its genetic. If you do a simple google search for "Arlene Vrooman Quilting" you will find several hits for my grandmother. Here is one article that does a little history lesson.

Only recently have I tried my hand at quilting, however, my grandmother is considered somewhat of a quilting guru. She is published in a book, several magazines, teaches classes at her home twice a week, and holds workshops throughout the Catskills. Here are some photos of quilts (from 2007) that she has constructed. The complexity of them is amazing and they are so precise.

Square Within a Square
Floral Arbor

Santa is Coming to Town
My grandparents had seven children, so in the 1950's and 60's sewing was taught to each of them. My mother of course learned from her mother and over the years taught me the artistry of craft. I will admit, I'm still figuring things out on my own at times when you don't have the ease of asking your mom how things are done, but I'm making my way through my creative exploration.

Now that I'm inspired, I'm off to sew!

No comments: